A collection of thoughts unbound and scrawlings in the life and times of Mr. Wordy

Monday, March 4, 2013

Look to the stars

Monday March 4th, 2013

Since returning to Cleveland, I've found myself unemployed and under motivated to do much of anything. Despite this I've also fallen into a finical boon. As a result, I've been looking at investing. Specifically I wish to invest in the city of Cleveland by purchasing and renting out a multifamily building. Seems a simple enough dream and with housing values depressed (even the high-end estate in Cleveland and it's surrounding townships max out just short of one million $) it should be attainable. However i find each lot just outside my reach. between the Points of Sale requirements, burglaries and general repair estimates even a 9,000$ house becomes a 40,000$ investment. Undoubtedly, this is recoupable but I've yet to see something to truly inspire me. ....Until now






Meredeth M Grant, a dedicated realtor through Howard Hannah has patiently showed me mush of what the eastside has to offer. I suspect her patience is wearing thin. when at the end of our showing i remained intractable. Driving away, I happened across a brilliant building: the Warner and Swasey Observatory. Dedicated in 1920, the Warner and Swasey Observatory was once a part of Case Western and remained so until 1983 when the Case Western department of Astronomy sold the property in favor of a new location outside the city's light pollution.

It has since changed hands several times (more often than not into the sheriff's department). It's most recent investor was brought to bare against morgage fraud and now the deed lies with the City of East Cleveland.

Currently it's fallen into great disrepair. I believe with every fiber of my being that it must be revitalized. Perhaps not again as an observatory. Given infinite resources I would transform this property into a community driven learning center. However, my resources are quite limited. That said, I am turning to you, internet, for help. I wish to turn this building into working order and I don't know who or how to ask for help. I was thinking of speaking to the Natural Historic registry for a grant or there must exists entrepreneurial trusts for educational undertakings, yes? Please, if you read this and see the same glory lost, here leave a comment or check out this facebook page or simply email me.
Thank you for reading.

-mr. wordy

No comments:

Post a Comment

questions? Comments? Concerns?
Please, let me know you what you think.
here is a place for open discussion.
thank you

Twitter

Look here! https://twitter.com/ThingsThatSmile